Web Application Firewall (WAF)
- Block malicious and unauthorized traffic
- Typical firewalls work at Layer 3 and 4
- Supports CloudFront and ELB
- WAF works at Layer 7 to stop SQL injection, XSS, etc.
- Web ACL is centralized place for rules, rule statements, and associated configuration
- Associations define which entity WAF is associated with (ALB, CloudFront, API Gateway, AppSync)
- Rule statements
- Custom, e.g., block requests from country X, block requests to
- Can combine multiple statements with AND, OR, NOT
- Allow, block, count, or CAPTCHA
- Configure either allow or block default rule
- Paid and free
- Admin protection, bot control, SQL database, etc.
- 10,000 rules per IP set and you can have multiple IP sets