An AWS Certified Solutions Architect with over ten years of experience shipping and maintaining tested, distributed, secure systems from thousand-line microservices moving billions of dollars each year to multi-million line GPS guidance systems. I deliver customer value utilizing object-oriented, functional, statically-typed, dynamic, and database languages and lead teams as a Founding Principal Engineer, Tech Lead, Architect, Product Manager, and Startup Co-founder.
- AWS Lambda
- REST API Design
- Distributed Systems
- Continuous Delivery
- Software Architecture
- Test-Driven Development
- CEO describing a Fortune 100 company's reaction to a demo I created: "Slam dunk with [Company]! Thank you for all your efforts on this! [Company VP] was visibly and vocally excited. I think his voice cracked a little when he exclaimed, 'how did you do that!'."
- VP of Product: "If no one is telling you, it's appreciated how intentional you are with growing our collective knowledge and being a champion for training. Thanks for doing this stuff, Rocky. I've also been hearing great things about your contributions and speed-of-delivery. The leadership team is impressed."
- VP of Engineering: "Rocky is one of our most respected and valuable engineers. His contributions are critical to the success of the company."
- Technical Lead and Manager: "He's a one-man wrecking crew, one of the most productive engineers I've worked with."
Founding Principal Engineer
- Building a company from the ground up.
Principal Technical Lead and Product Manager, APIs & SDKs
- Manage and mentor developers. Team has strong focus on customer satisfaction and ease of on-boarding with regular customer interviews, step-by-step guides, interactive demos, a command-line interface (CLI), and automated, always up-to-date API code samples.
- Perform product discovery and regularly prioritize to ensure team quickly delivers the right products at the right time. Furthered this by implementing "No Meeting Wednesday" and asynchronous stand-ups to increase focus time.
- Created uptime and availability tests with automatic rollback and alerting, confidently enabling continuous delivery of services.
Principal Software Architect
- Hired as Principal Engineer responsible for leading public REST APIs. Built from the ground up to OpenAPI, JSON:API, and CloudEvents specifications. Inter-service communication via Kafka and gRPC. Code coverage >90%.
- Created and own a platform of core libraries and build plugins to reduce duplication, improve security, and multiply engineering team's productivity.
- Architect and implement distributed, streaming, event-driven systems capable of sub-second bill of materials (BOM) and scene updates on CAD models with hundreds of thousands of BOM lines.
Principal Software Engineer
- Transitioned most business-critical database table from mutable to immutable, enabling point-in-time user balance queries, robust statements, and snapshots. Snapshots resulted in query speeds up to 200x faster and a 75% reduction in overall database deadlocks.
- Migrated webhooks to serverless Lambda functions and scaled to millions of messages a day while reducing peak delays from hours to minutes and cutting costs by 50%. Launched with zero downtime (and greater than zero fist pumps).
- Led development of API responsible for moving billions of dollars per year while decreasing partner "time to first API call" from hours to minutes with step-by-step guides and SDKs.
- Led Instant Bank Verification, cutting account verification times from three days to a few seconds via 3rd party integration. Built as containerized, auto-scaling microservice.
Senior Software Engineer
- Led company's foray into microservices with Dwolla Credit, integrating a credit provider to inject millions in buying power into the network. Mitigated partner downtime with caching and fault-tolerant background processes.
- Won internal hackathons by reducing ACH clearing times and allowing account creation via API. Each influenced what are now best-selling products.
- Built commodities trading platform from the ground up complete with reactive, real-time market, PDF contract generation, and e-signing.
- Secured with encryption in transit and at rest, A+ Qualys TLS score, and OWASP Top 10 mitigations.
- Led CommandCenter project development, an in-cab self-driving GPS guidance display. Now factory installed in all large-scale John Deere vehicles worldwide. Two million+ lines of code, released on schedule, with all known defects closed.
- Led fortnightly meeting of 25 tech leads across all guidance displays comprising over 150 developers.
- Led coding Katas of multiple 50+ developer groups teaching keyboard shortcuts, refactorings, test-driven development, pair-programming, and Linux shell commands.
- Organized company's first Hackathons. After votes from 200+ employees, won both with customer analytics, predictive keyboard, touch screen gestures, and Tetris! Demoed results to CEO and staff.
Software Engineer Intern
University of Iowa
- Created psychology studies and GUIs in DirectX and GDI+.
University of Iowa
Bachelor of Science, Computer Software Engineering
- Minors in Computer Science and Business